Saturday, July 10, 2010

Il Divo - إيل ديفو

I just returned from one of the concerts of this summer's Jordan Festival. I saw Il Divo, a four-man pop/classical vocal group, at a stage atop the Citadel.

Overall, it was a nice evening. I had fun, and it was certainly a change from my daily routine here in Amman. The show itself was... a mix. Numbers ranged from the spectacular - a four-voice arrangement of "Somewhere" - to the hilariously corny - the Spanish version of "Unbreak my Heart," for example. At times, it felt a bit like a boy-band concert for 35 year old women... two of whom were sitting behind me and chatted the entire time. But the great numbers were great, and I was very impressed with the vocal stamina. These guys were wailing into their mics for ninety minutes. I would have died after two arias, but they were at it all night.

All in all, a nice way to break out of my daily routine and get a little bit of live musical performance that has recently been so lacking in my life.  The festival lasts all summer, so I'll see if any future acts grab my attention for another night out.

5 comments:

  1. Do you think they are good singers with taste, voice quality and good technique? Or a hashed up produced good looking band for exciting women?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all giving me goose bumps when they sing, incredible voices!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I simply adore thes guys,Goog looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told my daughter i would kill to see II DIVO so she surprised me with tickets on my b'day.
    What a super show! Since i have lost two of my sons, i cried when they sang "Mama'.

    ReplyDelete